Seeing the World Through Single-dom

I will be writing more about my journey but I wanted to make sure I sent a quick update. Thank you for the kind words and calls. Here we go...


Health Condition Reveal
Today I underwent  surgery today on both eyes for adult strabismus.  

(... which Is???)
There are a lot of words interchanged for what it really is but essentially it’s the misalignment of the eyes affecting about  4% of the US population . For me, one eye would focus  in one direction, the other in the other direction, I work really hard to pick the most consistent image and go with that one. It’s a moment by moment game  your mind plays  with h every single piece of stimulus. 


Every. 
single.
day.
After 35 years , game over. 



Whether your eyes turn out or in  or both , it creates a situation where you see double And your mind and body are working overtime all the time.. 
Examples are endless so for context  I’d have you Journey with me! 

You start you new day like this: 
Multi  Wake Up Alarms:   You wake up and reach for your alarm clock kind of miss it because you have no depth perception. 
Coffee Part 1:You go to make coffee and have to stand really really close and make sure it’s properly aligned or your coffee goes to the grate
Coffee Part 2:  When you add sugar to coffee ,as usual  you  always miss the top of the cup just a bit  so you clean up the sugary counter 
Ziptie Considerations, Sunglasses or Squint?  So  you go outside and put on Sunglasses but then you realize it’s not gonna work out, (Seeing double in the sun is no Bueno) so you stack your sunglasses  Over  huge prism glasses and it’s just more of a hindrance. And depending on how much prism ?  We may not be able to get the Glasses that switch from Mike to daytime, and if you do your glasses are going to go from approximately $475 to closer to $700. ...Just in case the stacking of sunglasses sounds silly…You even consider zip tying them together but that looks  stupid so you commute for an hour with  a squint  and Total anxiety, because The sun only makes the double vision more complicated and  commuting just a little bit more miserable
Parking Garage  Complications : Getting into the private  garage at work, you usually either come super close to the badge in/ badge out area or end up super far away to where you have to open the door and reach because you didn’t really know how close your car wise to the badging area. There is occasional embarrassment to win because you can’t quite judge depth, your coworkers will see you having to get out of the car to reach  forward a couple of inches in order to use your . Badge .. like every other week  
Prayers in the Parking Process: To   park your car you squint and pray to God that this is a good eye today and that you don’t scrape any cars that you are parking in between. 
Walking the Dreaded Mile  - You appear antisocial But what you really are is trying to avoid overstimulation, as well as people finding out that you’re goingseeing your whole world twice, simultaneously , including them.  I personally off to finish up my Audible with earphones in so I can give a quick hello versus an impromptu conversation where my eyes me wonder and I will fill in barest and or be percei. ved as being deceptive or disinterested. .
Work Arrival!  Now at  your desk, your eyes are adjusting to the new artificial light up above Throughout the building, and when you sit, you’re adjusting anywhere from 1 to 3 different ddin the resolution and hoping it’s a good idea so you’re not seeing 2 to 6 screens and all of the open applications in  double form. 
Prayers: Quick prayer of both gratitude for making it to work on time, and hopefulness to avoid embarrassing meetings or situations or perceived disinterest, 
... And did I mention, . It is now 8 AM.

Excited about my new adventure and excited to compare and contrast the different experiences that having new site should bring. I am so grateful to pediatric eye care specialist at Fort Worth into Dr. Alan  Norman who  has working with me for almost 2 years to just buck  up and get it done! 
*This was pre-written, my eyes hurt I’m going to bed :-)*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ongoing Lessons in Life and BALANCE

Divorce diaries

day one...ick