Credit Declination and Financial Fitness

No one likes to talk about money right? Well oh well! Im blogging about my embarrassing but well received learning adventure. 

So you know that mortifying feeling when you get to go check out and you don't have enough money? or your credit/debit card gets rejected at the check out ? Sorta had this feeling a couple of months ago...

Read on...
 
The Mortification...


I don't check my credit often - no reason to (I thought). Well I randomly got rejected for something that I knew was well w/in my budget/means, etc bc I don't use credit often. Well, got a response in the mail that I was not approved. I was confused, and right there, the rejection reason? Bankruptcy. I get that. An institution not wanting to issue me a credit card or whatever due to filing bankruptcy. Could be a bit of a risk? Maybe want to be sure I'm back on my feet? Again, understood.

Soooooo -
Why did I have issue with this??

I. Never. Filed. For. That.  I completely flipped out., Googled til my fingers turned blue and finally breathed, created a plan and pushed to resolve it.

So - The Plan!
1) Get Informed --  Got my credit report (free) - :isted on the report is what court this was filed in with a case # so then I ..

2)  Make the Call --Called the court that had this BK filed against me, confirmed it wasn't mine and FOR FREE went to the (3) bureaus


3) Be Alert --  AINT NOBODY GOT TIME FOR THAT! Being at work or wherever and suddenly having this hit you is like a ton of bricks. So I don't like surprises - I put credit monitoring on via Free Credit Report. Banks do it too, maybe $9-10 a month. For what I felt, this is definitely work the investment.

Result:  Within 30 days this was removed, approvals received and credit cleared up. Scary but hey, its not just about physical fitness but financial fitness so apparently I need to do better here too!


Ok so I know that the Free Credit Report Song guys are pretty goofy but I HIGHLY recommend getting your annual report if not some sort of monitoring through your bank.  I told a couple of people about this. I don't get a dime from them so I don't care who you use but care enough to make an effort to ensre you're a-ok. Ya never know...

Financial fitness is on the up and up! Yay!:)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ongoing Lessons in Life and BALANCE

Divorce diaries

day one...ick