9 Months??! REALLY???!
So apparently I'm about to be a mom in a few weeks...where..did..the..time..go?? I'll say this - its been FAST which everyone warned me about and it's been interesting to say the least. I had so many expecations and assumptions coming in and websites and books only make them worse - can I eat lunch meat? OMG I took a hot bath did I hurt the baby? Mozart or Snoop?;) Does it matter? Gender revelation - to do or not to do? Workout or don't workout? HOLY COW IM ABOUT TOBE A MOM! The latter came up more than most:) However, I can say that I feel that I've handled it about as well as can be expected and anyone thinking of joinng the mom journey, here are my top ten tips (to pregnancy anyway, being a mom is a new journey - I'll let you know:))
10. Relax- Omg I wish I woud have done this a bit more. Im type A and naturally an organizational crazy person. I've had to scale back..slooowwwlly...
9. Listen to your body, not people (except your dr of course:)) - If I'd have done that I wouldnt have taught aerobics until 31/32 weeks, ran for 30 ish weeks or even continued to work up untiil this point. I've gained around 24-25 lbs. I don't know the typical gain but have to say that the stories I heard put me in fear of gaining double that and not being able to lose it. I just did what felt right and now, all seems well. Your body tells you when to relax - don't let people get into your head.
8. Read!! - Oh yeah, that What to Expect book has literally become a too heavy purse companion. Also reading something to free your mind really helps - I'm re-reading the "Harry Potter" Series thank you very much:) Oh and found a funny book by JennyMcCarthy - "Belly Laughs". Absolute riot!!
7. Hydrate! - So darned important! My last few weeks have been Texas Triple Digit hot. I am a-ok without soda - I just want water! Plus it helps from some other nasty things like preeclamsia and pre term labor...all new phrases for me but yes, bad things and great to avoid
6. Love your doctor - If you don't like going, get over it. You are gonna be there so much. I finally started writing out (for those who know me, not in Excel, just on paper thank you very much) my questions for each visit. Made it more of a conversatio and less of a "huh???" interaction. I love my doctor!
5. Document , even if you think its icky - I should have taken more pics but really, I was like "OMG fat fat fat!" Guess the documentation is personal but oh well
4. Speak your mind! - Ok so some people don't realize pregnant means irritable so they say things so don't be afraid to retort back!! Don't let those hormones make you cry! Examples: "Wow, sure you're not carrying twins?"; "You look kinda big!"; "Oh, you look tired today"; "Should you be eating ALL of that?" etc etc. Retort back to show them how rude they are!! "Nope, sure you didn't leave your tact at the door?" "You do too,Im pregnant what's your excuse?"; "I am just growing life, no reason to be tired or anything"; "I should be eating this and no I wont share!:)."
3. Don't compare yourself to anyone - Every pregnancy is different. So if your bestie started showing at 20 weeks, great for her. If you show at 10 weeks doesn't mean you're going to have the next 16 lb-er. Any good dr will tell you when to worry. See #10.
2. Eat well - You know that whole eat 5x a day, small meals. Its true!! First dr's appt instructed this and yeah, I got hungry sometimes but I didnt demolish McDonalds or eat every thing the vending machine had to offer. I still planned my meals and it really really helps.
1. Journal!! I started a baby journal day 1 - NYE 2010 and both my husbad and I write messages to our kiddo and Im going to fill it up (maybe by first birthday). Just shows your growth and is an absolute keepsake that can never be replaced!!!
Guess that's it!! I'll blog when I can - again, life's getting crazy!! Hope everyone is doing great!!!
10. Relax- Omg I wish I woud have done this a bit more. Im type A and naturally an organizational crazy person. I've had to scale back..slooowwwlly...
9. Listen to your body, not people (except your dr of course:)) - If I'd have done that I wouldnt have taught aerobics until 31/32 weeks, ran for 30 ish weeks or even continued to work up untiil this point. I've gained around 24-25 lbs. I don't know the typical gain but have to say that the stories I heard put me in fear of gaining double that and not being able to lose it. I just did what felt right and now, all seems well. Your body tells you when to relax - don't let people get into your head.
8. Read!! - Oh yeah, that What to Expect book has literally become a too heavy purse companion. Also reading something to free your mind really helps - I'm re-reading the "Harry Potter" Series thank you very much:) Oh and found a funny book by JennyMcCarthy - "Belly Laughs". Absolute riot!!
7. Hydrate! - So darned important! My last few weeks have been Texas Triple Digit hot. I am a-ok without soda - I just want water! Plus it helps from some other nasty things like preeclamsia and pre term labor...all new phrases for me but yes, bad things and great to avoid
6. Love your doctor - If you don't like going, get over it. You are gonna be there so much. I finally started writing out (for those who know me, not in Excel, just on paper thank you very much) my questions for each visit. Made it more of a conversatio and less of a "huh???" interaction. I love my doctor!
5. Document , even if you think its icky - I should have taken more pics but really, I was like "OMG fat fat fat!" Guess the documentation is personal but oh well
4. Speak your mind! - Ok so some people don't realize pregnant means irritable so they say things so don't be afraid to retort back!! Don't let those hormones make you cry! Examples: "Wow, sure you're not carrying twins?"; "You look kinda big!"; "Oh, you look tired today"; "Should you be eating ALL of that?" etc etc. Retort back to show them how rude they are!! "Nope, sure you didn't leave your tact at the door?" "You do too,Im pregnant what's your excuse?"; "I am just growing life, no reason to be tired or anything"; "I should be eating this and no I wont share!:)."
3. Don't compare yourself to anyone - Every pregnancy is different. So if your bestie started showing at 20 weeks, great for her. If you show at 10 weeks doesn't mean you're going to have the next 16 lb-er. Any good dr will tell you when to worry. See #10.
2. Eat well - You know that whole eat 5x a day, small meals. Its true!! First dr's appt instructed this and yeah, I got hungry sometimes but I didnt demolish McDonalds or eat every thing the vending machine had to offer. I still planned my meals and it really really helps.
1. Journal!! I started a baby journal day 1 - NYE 2010 and both my husbad and I write messages to our kiddo and Im going to fill it up (maybe by first birthday). Just shows your growth and is an absolute keepsake that can never be replaced!!!
Guess that's it!! I'll blog when I can - again, life's getting crazy!! Hope everyone is doing great!!!
Comments